Thursday, June 11, 2009

ORLY SATIN SWATCHES

Last night I did a couple swatches from my three new bottles of Orly Satins that I got. And all in all I have to say that I really do like them all. Also I think the whole matte thing has kind of hit dudsville since the OPI swatches came out, am I right or what? I don't think I have heard much in the way of positive news about them. I would like to see swatches where some one has put a top coat on them though, has anyone seen that anywhere?


Anyway, the Orly Satin polishes aren't really "matte" polishes but rather "satin" finish polishes. I think that is why these still have a little bit of that shine & shimmer to them, where as the matte polishes I have seen from OPI there is a distinct difference. But like with mattes, in order to achieve "the look" you need to leave a top coat off. I still think these all have a unique look to them even when a top coat is applied. All pictures below are each a different amount of coats but all have no top coat.

SATIN SOCIETY

I was actually a little impressed with this one. It was much more white than when I had first tried it out on one nail.







SATIN GRACE
Ahhh, my urine sample of a nail polish! This took the most coats, I actually lost count but I know it was at least 5. This did look better on that I thought it would considering how waterery it is in the bottle. I'm still hoping someone out there might have some frankening tips for me on how to make this more opaque with out losing the "satin" finish it has. I am thinking using a yellow eyeshadow instead of another polish, but I'm not for sure.



And just to see what it looked like, I painted it over a bright yellow base. I really liked it over a yellow base, it looked more like that buttah in a bottle look I was going for.




SATIN PASSION
This one was the most like my original purple one I had. This color was gorgeous! It was opaque in two coats and I love that it is bright red. Hands down the best from this bunch but I still think my purple one is the best of them all. I think these were all worth the $3.50 that were paid for them, but I wouldn't break my neck trying to hunt the rest of the collection down.


I mean really, how pretty is that?




16 comments:

Unknown said...

i heart the satin passion. the others are just meh for me.

Lucy said...

I like the satub finish. Very pretty colors. I like the red the best.

Brooke said...

KELLIEGONZO - Yup, the other two were def. disapointments, but not as bad as I originally thought they would be. The red one looks just like satin though.

LUCY - The red is the winner winner chicken dinner!

Olivia C. said...

I like all three... but that last one is just gorgeous! :)

Helen said...

I meant to say yesterday that the urine sample really made me laugh.
Hope you get some good frankening tips soon as Im sure you can make it better.

And yes, the red is luvverly.

Kae said...

I liked them all, although the red is my favorite. I think once you franken that pee pee in a bottle it'll be fantastic!

lola5375 said...

I still think that the "urine in a bottle" looks way better on you than it did on me:) I do love the red one though.

I just got the NYC color you sent and I can't wait to try it out!

Nixxy said...

Yep - satin is about as far as I will go with the matte look. Satin Passion is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Brooke- Try some yellow eyeshadow or pigment. If you add non-satin polish to it, it will become glossy.
Sometimes dollar stores have yellow eyeshadow in those compacts with 10 or 11 colors. Give it a try, but don't add it to the bottle- pour a little of the polish out onto a tray or cup and add the pigment/eyeshadow by brushing it in with a shadow brush. Then mix it up.

auroragyps said...

Why do I think the gold, silver, and white Orly Satin polishes were made more sheer so you could wear them over another color? It's been so long since I bought mine, so I could be remembering wrong. You might want to try the white & gold over a dark color, like red or dark green, to see how that looks.

Velvet said...

Lol...urine nail polish sample! That was too funny! Yes the red was awesome looking! I'm not sure what to think about the matte craze. I've not tried it.

adorepink said...

Satin passion looks great on you!

auroragyps said...

Last night I tried Grace over Wet'n'Wild Black and Caribbean Frost (turqoise green). It looked amazing over the black and pretty good over the other too. I want to try it over dark green, red, and blue next.

gio said...

Satin passion looks gorgeous!

pixelsandpolish said...

Satin passion is stunning, it looks so good on your skintone!

Tuli said...

I love SOCIETY and PASSION, they are really nice ! I was expecting to something diferent, I don't know exactly what...maybe a bit diferent finish...but they are beautiful either way :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This policy is valid from 07 December 2009


This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact getchanailsdid@yahoo.com.


This blog does not accept any form of cash advertising, sponsorship, or paid topic insertions. However, we will and do accept and keep free products, services, travel, event tickets, and other forms of compensation from companies and organizations.

This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.


To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org