Thursday, December 3, 2009

HANDMADE CUPCAKE ORNAMENT TUTORIAL





As promised, I have the tutorial for the cupcake decorations I made. If anyone has any further questions about what I did or used, please ask me and I will be happy to help you. But I think you will find that these are super easy. Please note that I made the mini sized ones, you could easily do this with regular size cupcake cups and regular size ornament balls.

ITEMS NEEDED:
  • Hot Glue Gun
  • Candy (Mini Cupcake) Cups
  • Mini Ornament Balls
  • Gel Medium - Extra Heavy Gel (semi-gloss)
  • Enamel Acrylic Paint (whatever color you want your frosting to be)
  • Beads (if sprinkles are desired)
  • Glitter (if desired)
  • Holly Floral Stem

STEP 1
Hot glue your ball into the cup. I put glue on the bottom and sides of the ball, all the way around. The sides of the cup will expand and not look right if you don't use enough glue on the sides. (Learned that after about 6 balls)





STEP 2
You are ready to mix your frosting. I scooped out the gel medium into two zip lock bags. I squirted the paint into the bags to make a vanilla and chocolate frosting. I mixed the paint into the gel by squishing the bag until it was thoroughly mixed. Get the Enamel acrylic paint so that when it dries it will be nice and glossy.



The gel medium was the most expensive item purchased. I got this little tub on clearance and with a 20% off coupon and it still came to $9.00. And as you can see I used almost all of it to make 20 mini ornaments.



STEP 3
After I had the icing mixed in the baggies, I snipped off a small corner of the bag to squeeze the icing out of. When applying the frosting, you need to make sure you cover the whole top of the ornament, except the hook. Make sure none of the gold or silver top of the ball is visible. I squeezed the frosting out and then used a kitchen knife to spread the icing on the ball, just like you would with real icing.


STEP 4
Now you need to add your toppings. You will need to cut your cherries off the floral stem and have them ready before you start frosting your "cupcakes".


I also had my beads on a plate for me to easily grab and sprinkle on after the frosting was applied.



You can add glitter if you want. Just sprinkle it on over the wet frosting.


Replace back in the little ornament holder that they came in to dry. These will take a full day to dry completely, depending on how thick you frost them.


That's it! It really is that easy. I got all my supplies from Michael's (a craft store) and they came to around $30 including some items on sale and clearance, and with a 20% off entire order coupon. I made 20 mini balls and still have lots of my supplies left, with the gel medium (and ornament balls obviously) being the exception.

One last thing, if making the mini cupcakes. Make sure you check the size of ball to see it will fit and look nicely in the candy cup. I have some across two sizes on the mini ornament balls.

There are a ton of different ways to make and customize your own little cupcake ornaments. I would love to see pics of anyone's cupcakes that does this. I would love to post them up, so please send pics to my email address, getchanailsdid@yahoo.com.



10 comments:

L said...

THANK YOU!

kelsealaurel said...

OMG SO CUTE! Haha! My friends and I decorated our ornaments with puffy paint and glitter, but this theme is even cuter! Thanks for the advice. You're so creative! =)

Kae said...

Aah you made it sound so easy lol. These are so cute it kills me!

Anonymous said...

These are so stinkin' cute Brooke! LOVE them!!! Your creativity obviously extends out of the kitchen and the polish drawer and into life in general. Thanks for the tutorial!!

Anonymous said...

a good whipped cream substitute is silicone caulk! no acrylic though. it's used often in japanese sweets decorating :) just tape an icing bit to a caulking gun and go to town!

Brooke said...

KBREADEST - Thanks for the tip, I think I need to try that out :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Brooke! I appreciate you posting the instructions. Enjoy those talons. ;)
DanaCerise

Peggy said...

Hi, just found your blog, and...OMG, LOVE these ornaments. Just wish I would've found you a month ago when I was planning my daughter's cupcake-themed 1st birthday party. These would have been a perfect addition to the Christmas tree that took up half of our party room! ;0)

Anonymous said...

Excellent post, I will be checking back regularly to look for updates


razdelit' tabletku viagry

Anonymous said...

Damn, rather interesting post. How will I get that RSS?

Katherine Kripke
spy security

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This policy is valid from 07 December 2009


This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact getchanailsdid@yahoo.com.


This blog does not accept any form of cash advertising, sponsorship, or paid topic insertions. However, we will and do accept and keep free products, services, travel, event tickets, and other forms of compensation from companies and organizations.

This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.


To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org