Monday, February 9, 2009

I'M A FRANKEN VIRGIN

Yes, it's true! I have never mixed my own color of nail polish. And seriously ladies, I have been into nail polish for a long long long time. It never even occurred to me to mix nail polish until about a year ago. When I started finding nail polish blogs I started hearing about "frankens". Frankens, for those of you who don't know, is your own creation. You take different nail polishes and add them all to one bottle to mix your very own nail polish color.


I admit, I have been a little shy to try this. I really don't know why, I just haven't really worked up the nerve to do it. Until now! After seeing this beautiful creation made on Dr. Frankenpolish, I am thinking, why can't I make something like that! Please take a look at the gorgeous purple polish Dr. Frankenpolish (AMANDA is her name) created in her lab:
(photo property of DrFrankenpolish.wordpress.com)

Please click here to be directed to Dr. Frankenpolish's website, where she shows how she made this color. There is also another article about how to do your own franken on there as well. And as always, my favorite franken genius over at Never Too Much Glitter has great frankens and tutorials!
So ladies, tonight I am gonna bite the bullet and try to franken my very first nail polish color. Pretty or ugly I promise to show you all the results. So if anyone has any great tips before I get started please feel free to leave them for me in the comments.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are very kind :-)
I can't wait to see what you come up with. Frankening is a lot of fun! Feel free to contact me if you get stuck or need some help! <3

Brooke said...

AMANDA - Oh thanks! Since I know your name now I will add it to the post, unless you prefer to go by Dr. Frankenpolish :)

I have some ugly dollar tree nail polishes I am going to fool around with tonight and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the offer of help, I just might need it.

Anonymous said...

I'llanswer to either :-)
I love using DT polishes to experiment with! Good luck <3

Inge said...

I made a franken once. I mixed clear polish with this beautiful loose eyeshadow (it was copper with blue sparkles).

The result looks like poo. I sometimes use it for pedicures because I can't seem to throw it out.

I'd love to see what you can come up with!

Anonymous said...

I'll weigh in with some franken advice!

1) Don't start out with nasty colors you hate- they're too challenging! Save them for later in your franken career as a challenge. Use a color you like as a base. Cremes are the easiest to work with at first. Shimmer and glitter can be unpredictable.

2) If you're going for a pastel, start with white and add drops of color to that. Mix and check the color, then keep adding dark.

3)If a color is too light, don't just add black or you'll get mud. Mud is cool, but if you want a vibrant color, not so great.

4) Add yer glitter/shimmer/sparkles last.

and, most importantly- HAVE FUN!

Ms. Katee/e-polishblog said...

I've never frankened either!! I think I'm afraid of the mess.

Brooke said...

PIXIE - You should use it and post a pic on your blog, I would like to see it :)

GLITTER - Thanks so much for your tips. They really helped - I know because I am answering this after I did my franken. Your tips helped me alot, I appreciate it :)

KATEE - There really wasn't a mess at all. I just put paper down and worked on the paper.

SASHA - Take a look, I posted the pics already :) lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This policy is valid from 07 December 2009


This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact getchanailsdid@yahoo.com.


This blog does not accept any form of cash advertising, sponsorship, or paid topic insertions. However, we will and do accept and keep free products, services, travel, event tickets, and other forms of compensation from companies and organizations.

This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.


To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org