Tuesday, February 3, 2009

FRANKIE JOINS THE NAVY

Last night I swatched Carolyn NY - Frankie Joins The Navy since I forgot to get pictures of it by itself for yesterday's post. As you may recall this was the color that was very pigmented in the bottle, but when I put on the first coat, it was surprisingly sheer. In order to show you what I am talking about I painted one coat on my index finger, two coats on my middle finger, three coats on my ring finger and four coats on my pinkie. You can see that at three coats, the color is the same as what's in the bottle. I love this color, and I believe that it is worth the three coats it takes to get to bottle color.







As you can see from the post below, I have been doing some checking into Carolyn New York and I came across an interesting article that was done Oct. 30th, 2007. The Daily News / Bronx interviewed her, and asked how she came up with the names for her nail polish. Here is what she said about Frankie Joins the Navy:


"I pick a new color that the line needs and I stare at it for a couple of days," said Cianciotto, 44, who created a shade called "Brooklyn" as a "dark candy red" because of a candy-apple-red heart she wore on her nails on a blind date.

"A memory will trigger and I will name the color after that time or place."

Cianciotto mixed up a dark blue color that instantly reminded her of the stories her father, Frank, used to tell her about being in the Navy.

"I named it 'Frankie Joins The Navy,' " she said. "That one is closest to my heart. Every Fleet Week, I am reminded of my dad's stories as the sailors flood the city."



How cool is that? I was really surprised to learn that Frankie Joins the Navy was named after her father.




In another part of the article, she explains her reasons for picking her unique bottles:



Not only the names of the colors, but the design of the Carolyn NYC bottles, are unique. The bottle is shaped to fit in the palm of the hand and the brush is flat, not fanned, so polish doesn't spill out at the end and get into your cuticles. Also, the caps are rubberized, giving a better grip.

"They are made to function," she said. "Overall, this whole thing is really a lot of fun."

To read the full article, please click here.

I'm telling you guys, the more I am finding out about this lady and her company, the more I am really liking it. I love that the names of the polishes actually mean something to her, they aren't just cute clever names - they have a cool meaning behind them too. It just makes me think - I could do my own line of nail polish too, with really cute clever names that mean something - hey, a girl can dream can't she???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is probably the most extreme color-changing-from-first-coat-to-last-coat nail polish that I have ever seen. I think all three would be wearable.
I like the naming that she gives the np's as well. Very cool!

Jamie D. said...

What a gorgeous color! Fascinating to learn about the names too...and she "nailed it", so to speak - that color definitely says "U.S. Navy" to me.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely color, it looks like a grayish blue to me. Can't waith to get home and watch the videos.

Brooke said...

NESSA - This was a very strange color in it's sheerness. I was surprised when it did reach bottle color in three coats, I was worried after that first coat if it would!

JAMIE - Haha "Nailed" - good one. This definatly is a great color in my opinion. It really has a cool blue color to it.

OLGA - Oh, that last video cracked me up! It does sort of have a grayish tint to the blue. I think it is a pretty unique color.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This policy is valid from 07 December 2009


This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact getchanailsdid@yahoo.com.


This blog does not accept any form of cash advertising, sponsorship, or paid topic insertions. However, we will and do accept and keep free products, services, travel, event tickets, and other forms of compensation from companies and organizations.

This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.


To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org