Wednesday, May 13, 2009

MATTE NAIL POLISH

Last week I was reading the wonderful blog known as Nixxy's Nails - and she was proclaiming her dislike for the new nail trend of matte nail polish. I am sure most of you have heard about Zoya's new collection that will be matte, as well as those KO polishes. I myself stand with Nixxy on this one, matte polish just does not do it for me. While I admit that KO's Liberty nail polish had me intrigued - I still thought it needed a thick, shiny top coat of Seche :)


Anyway, Nixxy got me thinking about matte nail polish and I had a great idea. I do have about three bottles of Maybelline Matte nail polish that I got from the Dollar Tree, so I figured they would be perfect in trying my idea out on.


I got the idea from an episode of Trading Spaces that came on a looooong time ago, like when the show first came out and it was all the rage. Anyway - I saw one of the designers (I think it was Hildy, who normally I don't like her style) paint a wall in a flat or matte paint and then taped off stripes and painted shiny stripes of the same color. I just loved that idea and I have always wanted to do that to a room. So mix one part Nixxy, one part Trading Spaces and one part nail polish and this is what I came up with:







Left blurry in an attempt to really highlight the difference between the matte and shiny areas.


11 comments:

Lacquer Laine said...

What a great idea! I was very interested in trying the painter's tape to stripe with after I read your comment about it on the purple/diagonal post. This is a very cool idea! I would love to try it.
:c)

clockwork said...

Interesting look, hmm makes me want to try it with Liberty!

Mary said...

I like that! It's fun to play around with different finishes. I use Orly Matte Top and paint a french tip with it or leave the tip matte and use matte top coat over the rest of the nail.

Brooke said...

LACQUER LAINE - Thank you. I know, wasn't the painters tape a great idea, thanks to Kae over at The Hungry Asian.

CLOCKWORK - Oh, do try it with Liberty!! I am dying to see Liberty all shined up!

MARY - I never thought about the french tip idea! Very cool idea.

The Asian Girl said...

That's one of the best nail art ideas I've seen! When I get my Nubar stuff, I'm going to try that with the matte top coat or use Seche with the matte polishes I do own!

Helen said...

Oh my goodness I LOVE those colours. Very Route Beery!

I think the mani looks great as well - fab idea. I'm not a matte fan either but this is definitely something I'd wear.

Lucy said...

Yikes, your skills are amazing! You keep coming up with the most fantastic ideas. I applaud you so take a bow. This is a gorgeous Hildy inspired mani. I used to watch Trading Spaces also. I loved Doug and his Tuscan walls. I love the color of this polish.

Brooke said...

THE ASIAN GIRL - Thank you! Hopefully you will post the pics up on your sight for us to all ooogle!

HELEN - I didn't even think about the closeness of the Route Beer color! Indeed, very similar. That's a keen eye you got there little lady :)

LUCY - Thank you (bows) thank you (bows) lol - Doug used to irk the crap out of me, lol! I always liked the big old guy with the white beard and the Verne?? (chinese guy)

Nixxy said...

All hail the nail genius! :)

Rachel said...

That's hilarious. I've seen maybe 5 episodes of TS and I've seen that one (along with the obligatory "is it eggplant or aubergine?" discussion.) I always thought it was a cool idea for a wall, and it's an even cooler idea for matte nails.

Bravo!

Brooke said...

NIXXY - Bows down!

RACHEL - Thank you! How funny that was one of the ep. you saw. They were really pretty walls, it stuck with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This policy is valid from 07 December 2009


This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact getchanailsdid@yahoo.com.


This blog does not accept any form of cash advertising, sponsorship, or paid topic insertions. However, we will and do accept and keep free products, services, travel, event tickets, and other forms of compensation from companies and organizations.

This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.


To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org